Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Rounds in weekly transactions

I guess I never saw this as a confusing issue, but I've received several questions this spring about trying to sign free agents and then being asked to assign them to a "round."

So...think of it this way.  Every week when we do transactions, it's like a four-round mini-draft.  With the round number, you are ranking your choices.  When we process the transactions we run through the picks round by round in that week's transaction order (during the season, the order is set from worst to first in overall record).  If you play in a league that processes free agent pickups via a waiver order, it's the same thing - though you may not see it presented the same way.  For example, I know that in the CBS leagues in which I play - the commissioner approves picks team by team - in the defined waiver order.  But I just have to list them in the order I want - not put "round numbers."

Doing it round by round allows to add some extra things - like an alternate pick if your primary choice is already gone - or a contingent release that only gets processed if you pick up that player.

Still confused?  Check out a few weeks of the transaction report for your league(s) and you'll see how the 4 rounds play out.  Just click "Transactions" in the navigation bar at the top of any page.

No comments: