Saturday, August 9, 2014

Open Comment Thread for Potential Rule Change - Guys who play but have no plate appearances

This also comes up every year -

So you've got a guy in your starting lineup, who appears in the MLB game, but maybe it is as a late-inning defensive replacement or a pinch runner.  Or maybe he gets injured in the field in the top of the first inning and gets replaced.

Whatever, you've now got a guy in your lineup with box score:
0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 ...

Meanwhile, you've got a guy on the bench who would have filled in at the position and lineup slot and went 3-4 with a homer and 3 RBI.

Or even let's say he went 0-4...if you had been able to put him in the lineup you would have at least had a real shot at a positive contribution.

Should this be changed?
And, if so, what are the cutoffs?
  • Zero plate appearances?
  • 1 plate appearance?
  • Do we base it on "at bats" or "plate appearances"? (Keep in mind that BB, HBP, SB, etc. contribute in the scoring formula to ATB (Adjusted Total Bases)
  • If no one can fill in, does he maintain the lineup spot?  Or do you take a Benchwarmer?
  • Is a bench player who played but with no plate appearances eligible to fill in at an open lineup spot?
Possible side effects:
  • What if he was a defensive sub with no errors - and the guy who would replace him had 2 errors? - potentially costing you the game.
  • What if he was a defensive sub and had an error - if not counted, this potentially hurts your opponent.
  • What if he was a pinch runner with no plate appearances, but stole a base (adding to his ATB) and/or scored a run?  Maybe that costs you a game.
  • If you're cutting out guys with 1 AB (as suggested below), what if the guy hits a 3-run HR in his only appearance?
  • The suggestion below also had a cutoff for "no official AB" - and 3 walks and a Sac Fly would contribute to your offensive performance.

From an owner this year - this is the most recent suggestion sent to me to change this:
"I know it may be a difficult task to program, but in instances where a player in real life participates in a game and either registers 1 official AB, No official AB (BB, HBP), or No official AB due to being a defensive sub or pinch runner, I believe that the BWB team should NOT be penalized by this.  My reasoning is that in real life, the player was not intended to be a starter in that game, but in BWB, since we do not make daily lineup changes, we assume that he WILL be the starter.  Therefore, my suggestion is that in these instances, the current BWB procedure should be used as if the player never appeared in the game to allow our bench players to be the starters.  An argument can be made that this affects all teams, but I believe that it will make the BWB more realistic"

Last time this was brought up, most of the feedback I got was "keep as is"

I won't hide my desire to make no change here - both on the rule itself and once again this may be as much trying to avoid a computer programming quagmire...

But I'm interested in your views...

5 comments:

Christian Zaccaro said...

I don't feel that this is that big an issue and there are several times that I'm glad when someone on my bench goes 0-1 or 0-0 as a defensive substitution simply that I don't get a benchwarmer batter. I understand what the comment is trying to do but not sure how you would police it. Do you play the player with more plate appearances? Can't do that because I don't want a guy on my bench playing over a starter simply because he went to extra innings and got extra plate appearances. What if the starter only has 1 plate appearance and there is no one on my bench to cover that position for that game? Do I get a benchwarmer batter? Honestly I don't think that this situation comes up that much to make a big deal out of it. And besides I would take Miggy's one pinch hit at bat over CJ Cron's 3 at bats on most days

Unknown said...

I would agree that it's not a critical issue. However, in the situation that it is apparent that there are no official AB's or no more than 1 plate appearance, that a bench player be the first option; the starter as the 2nd option; and the BWB as the final option (if the programming logic is practical).

AC said...

I agree with David Henning, there should be logic that states something to the effect that if a starter has 0 official AB's an eligible bench player will be sub'ed if they have 1 or more PA.

If we had the ability to change lineups daily (which I DON'T WANT), this change would be made.

I FULLY SUPPORT THIS CHANGE!

jason said...

I say keep it as is. Too many times I see a guy get 2 or 3 walks (no official plate appearance) and would hate to get penalized because my starter played and did well (just no official ABs) and I get a pinesitter because I don't have a replacement on my bench. I think owners for the most part know which players are going to typically get Pinch hit appearances if they don't start or are going to be late inning subs (Brandon Moss and Brett Gardner here's looking at you guys) so you know the risks if you have those guys on your roster.

Kevin said...

I would like to see this changed. Programming could be tough, but I have no idea about that. Anything more than 2 AB's getting preference would be nice.