Saturday, August 9, 2014

Open Comment Thread for Potential Rule Change - Cash Trades, Good or Bad?

What's your thought on cash trades? ...that is, player(s) given up and the only return is cash

I don't want to get rid of them entirely, but have some concerns in implementation - largely in the "Player X is available for $100" broadcast message types types of trades.  Or even absent the email broadcast, there end up being some trades with minimal cash trading hands.

This isn't to demonize the people who do it - they're playing within the rules and it's a smart move on their part.  There are reasons to do it, including helping the team's bottom line financially.  But my concerns are:
  1. This turns what I like to be a game you can check in on once a week if you prefer into a first-come, first-served situation.  Yeah - all trades are first-come, first-served to some extent if a target team likes the first offer - but the announcement of taking the first $100 to come your way is a little different.
  2. It's a glorified cut - and the trade to the first team to pony up a small amount of cash circumvents the waiver order system that would come into play in attempting to sign that player via free agency if he was cut instead of traded.
  3. It's an unintended loophole to allow salary rebates after Week 15.  Rebates for cut players end on Week 15, but prorated salary rebates for trades continue as long as the trades do.  That in itself is a good thing - I want that to be available to stimulate trades.  But for the "glorified cut" style of cash trade, this kind of circumvents the general spirit of the salary rebate.
  4. You could argue also there are collusion concerns, but that's not my general feeling.
I finally figured out the post-Week 15 proliferation of bargain-basement cash trade offerings a few years ago - getting that late salary rebate for a guy you'd actually be cutting for no return.  But this year I noticed a lot of it coming in the early part of the regular season too - and I think again the rebate structure comes into play...from Weeks Zero through 5 the maximum salary rebate is 80%, but the trade rebates cycle from 100% down to 80% - so there's added benefit on a $100-trade for a player rather than cutting him.

In a game where cash limitations are a prime concern, I get the need and the strategic value for cash/salary relief in the late season.  However, I think overall cash balances are out of whack (and too high) and I'm looking for ways to tighten the finances.

This may or may not be one of the ways to do that.

I'm interested in hearing your opinion on this - whether you see it as a major problem, you strongly defend the status quo, or fall somewhere in between (or don't even care).  Maybe you have some other reasons that what I've outlined above.

For the purposes of this comment thread, I would just prefer you to comment on the situation of cash-only tradesWe'll discuss alternative strategies in a different post and I'd rather see your comments or suggestions there in one spot on potential changes.

5 comments:

Mike L said...

YES; keeps you active all year long looking for bargain pick ups

Leif J said...

I understand the concern with the "player x available for $100 - first come, first serve" approach, ,which isn't really equitable to someone who can't check every single day, but I think there is legitimate value for both sides in most cash trade and wouldn't want them outlawed.

AC said...

I believe that this should remain the same.

Unknown said...

I think cash-only trades are perfectly acceptable. If you required players on both sides of a trade, then it would simply mean a team would incorporate a player who they value the least on their end, which defeats the purpose of a possible rule change.

Kevin said...

I'm also fine with cash only trades, but I do understand the gripe those have who may be a day late. First off, what is hard about linking trades to your email? Okay, fine, some people are busy. Could a highest bidder type thing be implemented on a team page? Then everybody has a shot before transactions that week. I thought I saw this idea posted at some point....I like it.