Saturday, August 9, 2014

Open Comment Thread for Potential Rule Change - Trade Deadline

Is the trade deadline too late in BWB?

Deadlines for contract extensions (last transaction period in July) and trades (last transaction period in August) have been calendar based since we started.

In 2014, the trade deadline is the final one in August - Wed, August 27.

This is Week 22 and traded players hit new rosters/lineups for Week 23 and just 3 weeks of the regular season plus the playoffs.

Do you think that's OK or do you see any problems with this?  (Whether that's in the balance of competitiveness so late in the season, possibility of collusion, salary dumps so late in the season after there are no rebates for releases, etc.)

For example, would a better trade deadline be, say, Week 20 - regardless of calendar date?
This year that deadline would be August 14.

I'm not leaning one way or the other - just trying to see where people stand on this.

8 comments:

Rob Elias said...

I'll throw in my two cents. I'm in favor of leaving the trade deadline as is. I'm in two leagues that have a July 31 deadline & it detracts from the quality of the league. Some of the best trades in BW are done in August, when some teams are trying to rebuild and others are trying to win a division. Moving the deadline up won't do very much to stop collusion- it just limits flexibility.

Unknown said...

Leave it as is. The month of August allows the time to determine if you are in a buy or sell mode as well as to determine who's hot or cold for the playoffs.

John Stroba said...

I like the deadline where it is personally. But then I tend to favor more player movement than less usually.

Leif Jonson said...

I wouldn't mind if it were moved up a week or two, but no problem leaving as is. Kind of weak when a playoff bound team can make a trade with only 3 weeks left that can change the whole complexion of the playoffs, but the flip side as others have stated is that it is the last chance to try to make some real changes to your team for the future

AC said...

I believe that the deadline should be earlier, around July 31 for the same reasons Leif states.

jason said...

As is seems fine. I suppose moving it up a little would be ok as well, but like John, more player movement is better and in in my year and a half here, I haven't seen a trade that I thought was a problem as far as competitive balance wise. Maybe moving it up 2 weeks so you have a guy on your roster 5 weeks at least on your roster before you use him makes sense as well. However you can't always predict injuries and for instance if you had machado you would be in trouble if the deadline were already passed, but now have a chance to get a decent replacement if you have the prospects or other pieces to get a guy.

Unknown said...

The current trade deadline is perfectly fine, in my opinion.

Kevin said...

I'm in favor of moving up the deadline a few weeks for the same reasons stated by Leif.